Neymar's future in Barcelona is over
BarnBurner Sports Writer
Tuesday, September 10, 2019
Photo courtesy of Soccrates Images
TORONTO - The president of FC Barcelona, Josep Maria Bartomeu, has confirmed that the Spanish League champions will not move to acquire PSG striker Neymar Jr. in January.
Bartomeu mentioned that the team spent the whole summer negotiating an agreement to bring Neymar back from the PSG that stole him for a world record of $291,000,000 Canadian dollars in 2017.
When asked if it was possible to sign Neymar in January, Bartomeu said, "No. Right now, no."
Neymar Jr. has scored 34 goals in the french league in two seasons for the French champions, as injuries have hindered the Brazilian star.
Bartomeu rejected the suggestion that Neymar was the main goal of the club in the summer, adding that the possibility of signing him was an advantage.
The captains of Barcelona: Lionel Messi, Gerard Piqué, Sergio Busquets, Sergi Roberto and Luis Suárez had been informed by President Josep Maria Bartomeu that the club would not only sign Neymar, but that the player would return on his own terms.
The players with whom he communicates regularly (Messi, Piqué and Suarez) told Neymar that the agreement would occur and that it was necessary if Barcelona was to regain the Champions League. He got under the skin of the Brazilian, especially because he was never totally convinced by his decision to leave Camp Nou in the first place.
Messi, 32, also suggested, given his own age, Neymar could probably become the center of the Barcelona universe in a couple of years.
"The opportunity to sign Neymar emerged in the market. His signing was an extra, it was not planned."