The Marlies get the wrong end of the horns at home

Harley Kock
BarnBurner Sports Writer


Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Final Score, Toronto Marlies 3 - Binghamton Devils 5

Toronto, ON - The Toronto Marlies took too long to wake up in their 5-3 loss to the Binghamton Devils this afternoon. Joseph Woll made the start and was under fire early before ending up with 29 saves on 33 shots. He was opposed by Gilles Senn who was solid all night with 32 saves, even through long droughts of no action. Marlies had won four in a row before losing back-to-back games to the Devils.


Just before puck drop it was announced that Mason Marchment, who was on a five game point streak, was traded to Florida for Denis Malgin. "I was actually a little emotional, he's a great kid but I'm happy for his opportunity," remarked Head Coach Greg Moore on the trade.


It took the Marlies three minutes to get their first shot on net. The Devils were doing a great job of forcing tough passes threw the neutral zone.


Woll was tested a few times early on, but held up. Binghamton was running a 1-2-2 style forecheck and playing very passive on Toronto’s rush, clearly looking for turnovers to capitalize on.


The Marlies got the first great chance, Riley Woods faked going behind the net before passing right outfront to Colt Conrad. Unfortunately he couldn’t capitalize.


But just 30 seconds later...


Tyler Gaudet took a pass from the point and put it cross-crease on Senn. The Devils netminder tried to poke it away but missed and it went right to Matt Read, who took the lead for the Marlies eight minutes into the contest. Read’s tenth goal of the season.


Not for long as Bingham responded. 


Marian Studenic skated slowly threw the left circle and sniped it by Woll to tie the game at one.


It was halfway threw the period by the time the Marlies got sustained pressure in the Devil's zone. Several missed attempts though, resulted in no shots on net.


The Devils controlled the rest of the period. Kyle Cumiskey went cross ice to Egor Sharangovich who picked the open spot on Woll. Wasn’t all his fault, the 6’2 Ryan Schmeizer had him screened.


Things got worse when Joseph Duszak tripped Brett Seney. On the powerplay Binghamton’s Dakota Mermis ripped one from the point that was tipped by Chris Connor. His tenth of the season gave the Devils a 3-1 lead with 25 seconds left.


At the end of the first period that's how things remained. The Devils were outshooting the Marlies 15-8. Toronto was having trouble establishing any offensive pressure.


The second started with a great chance for the Marlies. Kristians Rubins was tripped by Matt Tennyson. Toronto’s sixth ranked powerplay went to work. They had issues getting set-up, with just 10 seconds left in the man advantage Toronto finally had possession in Binghamton's zone. They got no great chance as the Devils killed it off.


Shortly after the Marlies were short handed again and Binghamton took little time. Mikhail Maltsev walked in and undressed Woll but couldn’t finish. Nathan Bastian tapped it home to make it 4-1.


Toronto went on the penalty again less than four minutes later. They finally killed their first of the game to keep it a three goal deficit.


The Devils kept coming, controlling the pace and the puck. The Marlies got dominated in the middle period, getting pinned in their own end for minutes at a time. This resulted in an over ten minute stretch with no shots at the net for Toronto.


Just the one tally in the period as it ended 4-1. A late penalty by the Devils ment the Marlies would be on the powerplay to start the third. The shots in the second were 14-9 Binghamton, but it didn’t show how badly they outplayed Toronto in the middle 20. Moore wasn't impressed with his squads breakout, "The second period got away from us … they forechecked us really hard and took away our time and space, I don't think we were ready for it."


The third started much better than the second. The Marlies seemed to have found their legs and got some good attempts on the powerplay. Two one timers from Scott Pooley but big saves by Senn kept the Devils big lead.


Finally the Marlies broke through.


Nicholas Baptiste passed outfront to Giorgio Estephan who made a sweet move pulling the puck from his forehand to his backhand and shoveling it into the net. His fourth of the year made it 4-2. "Luckily I got in a good spot and knew I had to make a little bit of a move," Estephan said of his first goal this season.


That goal really gave Toronto life as they were now controlling the puck. Binghamton did a good job of keeping them to the outside and Senn made a few solid positional saves. 


Then they made it even closer.


Garret Wilson got the one timer from Mac Hollowell. Senn with a huge save but the puck was sitting in the crease and Read tapped it his second of the game to make it a 4-3 with 5:41 remaining in the third.


Jesper Boqvist took a penalty and the Marlies had a chance to tie it on the powerplay. Their best chance came on a Pooley one timer, but he fanned on it as the man advantage expired.


Toronto pulled Woll and Binghamton's defenceman Matt Tennyson shot it the entire ice and it took a lucky bounce into the open cage to make it 5-3.


That would be the final. Kenny Agostino had his point streak snapped at five games in a row. Devils are now one point behind the Marlies but Toronto has a game in hand. Binghamton was two for three on the powerplay. "It was a special teams game tonight, we tryed to find a way to get back in it but just didn't have enough time," said Moore on his teams performance.


Next Up, Saturday, February 22nd, against the Laval Rocket who are currently seventh in the division.