Florida Panthers go vegetarian as they feast on ‘Leafs’
BarnBurner Sports Writer
Monday, January 13, 2020
Toronto Maple Leafs 4 - Florida Panthers 8
If you have been a Leafs fan since November 18, 2014 this game probably made some bad memories resurface. That was when Toronto lost to Nashville 9-2. Tonight’s 8-4 loss was the worst since that night.
Just after 12 shots and four goals later, Frederik Andersen was pulled for the second time in two games.
Toronto Maple Leafs: Mitch Marner had two goals, Zach Hyman had a goal and two assists, and John Tavares had a goal putting a stop to his four game goalless drought. They also had a goal taken back with 6:49 left in the third period due to Cody Ceci scoring with a high stick.
Florida Panthers: With a goal and assist, Jonathan Huberdeau recorded his 420th career point with the Panthers (143 goals, 277 assists) which was just enough to pass Olli Jokinen for the most points in Panthers franchise history. Aleksander Barkov and Vincent Trocheck each had a goal and two assists, Mike Hoffman had two goals, Brett Connolly had two assists, all while Frank Vatrano, Mike Matheson, and Josh Brown all scored.
- -Marner has 9 goals and 17 assists in 17 games.
- -It was Andreas Johnsson’s first game back from his leg injury. He missed the last 15 games.
- -Sergei Bobrovsky was out due to an upper-body injury.
- -Brian Boyle played his 800th game.
- -It was the Leafs worst loss in the Sheldon Keefe era.
- -The Florida Panthers have won 6 straight games against the Leafs while playing in their backyard.
- -The Panthers are just one point behind the Leafs in the standings.