The Dombrowski Era has come to a shocking end in Boston
BarnBurner Sports Writer
Tuesday, September 10, 2019
Photo courtesy of www.newscentermaine.com
TORONTO. - One of the biggest success stories in the baseball world is no more as the Red Sox main boss Mr. Dombrowski has been sent to exile from the shrine of baseball Fenway Park.
It happend moments after midnight that the announcement was transmitted to the press core in Fenway Park not by ownership but by a spokesman that the man that just a year ago brought glory to the city of Boston had been dismissed ending another era in Red Sox history.
An official announcement will occur later on Monday, when principal owner John Henry should hold a press conference discussing the decision.
Eddie Romero, Brian O’Halloran and Zack Scott, will share the responsibilities for the remainder of the season until the ownership will start its search for a new boss.
Dombrowski built a team that won the World Series in 2018, but has made some questionable decisions since. What a difference an offseason makes and rough start to the new season.
Manager Alex Cora didn’t have much time to process the news when he was informed after walking off the field at Fenway.
“I mean, I just found out,” Cora said. “I’m surprised, I’m shocked, honestly. Right now I don’t have too much to say. We’ll talk about it tomorrow. This is a guy that gave me a chance to come here and be a big league manager. It’s one of those that they just told me, so I’m not ready to talk about it.”
Cora quickly pulled his team together after the game to inform them of the decision.
Inside the Red Sox locker room, players were shocked by the timing of the news, but not surprised by the decision.
Mookie Betts, J.D. Martinez and Rick Porcello each said some form of “this is a business” when discussing the firing of Dombrowski, whose contract runs through 2020.
“I just found out right now, honestly,” Martinez said. “It was kind of shocking to everybody but it’s a business. I don’t know. It is what it is, kind of deal… We had a good team and I guess, like I said, ownership has their reasons. It’s a business. That’s their call. We’re here, we have a job to do, we have to just keep chugging away.”
Porcello took a harder approach and said he and the players feel somewhat responsible for Dombrowski’s firing.
“There’s a business aspect to it and it’s just unfortunate,” Porcello said. “Obviously I’ve played for Dave for a long time and I think the world of him and it’s just sad to see something like that happen. At the end of the day, we’re the players that are on the field and the ones that can make or break a lot of things and ultimately the onus comes on us. It’s unfortunate to see him take some of it. But that’s the decision ownership made and it is what it is.”
The question that comes to mind when looking at the fate of a great baseball man that was fired over a half season of battling player injuries and tough loses then why the Rogers family hasn't done somenthing after almost three years of complete disappointment to a captive fan base.
I guess the ownership in Beantown is just a little more dedicated to their product than that of the Blue Jays, who still have confidence this disaster management team can turn things around with prospects on the rise.
Maybe now Mr. Ed Rogers Jr. can assess his decisions and scoop one of baseball brightest minds and bring him to fix the errors of the "Dynamic Duo".